Lucija Vuković, senior curator
The most important objects in the collection are two Renaissance bronze statues, automata, the Green Ones, as they are called, or bronze jacks, which used to strike the hour on the city bell tower. They were cast around 1478, most probably in the Dubrovnik workshop of Michele di Giovanni of Fiesole.
A special place in the collection is taken by several other sculptural works created in local workshops. There is the stone statue of St Blaise, the work of Ivan Duknović of 1503, the head of a boy from a mullioned window of the Rector’s Palace of the 15th century, by George of Dalmatia, and two reliefs of St Jerome, made in the workshop of Niccolo di Giovanni and Andrija Aleši in the same period.
The major part of the collection consists of some sixty clocks made from the 17th to the early 20th century, as well as a small number of musical instruments produced at the end of the 18th and in the 19th century. Also featured are several crucifixes, created from the 16th to the 19th century. These artworks are mainly of foreign provenance.
Quite a large number of clocks are exhibited in the permanent display, with a Walter fortepiano and several sculptures, including the bronze jacks and the statue of St Blaise from the portal of the Rector’s Palace.